Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Talk, News & Reviews > Rock Lounge

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Rock Lounge General Music discussions are posted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Music Lover

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default Re: An introduction to Progressive Rock

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
It suited Blackmore because he has a light touch.
Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Before this thread gets too far away from the first page I thought I would bump it up but I also wanted to talk a little bit about the roots of prog and how it came to be.

In the mid sixties bands started to experiment with drugs and the vibe of the time started to allow for an anything goes mentality. The Beatles recorded Revolver which was their first real entry into psychedelia although "rubber soul" had hinted at a step away from their previous early sound and a little more towards something a little eclectic. The Beach Boys recorded "pet sounds" around the same time and this also showed them moving in a direction beyond their earlier sound. By 1967 the psychedelic movement was in full swing. Progressive rock, while not necessarily totally independent from psych at the time, nonetheless started to take form with releases such as "Days of Future Passed" by the MOOdy Blues and early albums by Procul Harum and the Nice. More and more bands(especially in England and eventually all around the world)took the instrumentation and experimentation of psychedelic rock and focused more on the compositional structure of the music and tightening things up a bit and making it less pop oriented and less jammy.

THe Beatles "Sgt Pepper's lonely hearts club band" is also considered a landmark album.

The evolution of rock n roll to psychedelic and then to full fledged progressive rock was a gradual one.

The album that made the biggest impact on this burgeoning genre and the one that cemented the genre in the most significant way at the time was "In the court of the crimson king" by King Crimson. Prog wasn't necessarily born with this album but this one had the greatest impact in influencing other bands and establishing this genre as something that could not be confused with anything else.

Some important early albums that helped shape prog include:

The Beatles-revolver (1966)
Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention-Freak Out (1966)
Pink Floyd-Piper at the gates of dawn(1967)
The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band (1967)
The Moody Blues-Days of Future Passed (1967)
Soft Machine-the soft machine (1968)
Family-Music in a doll's house (1968)
Caravan-same (1968)
Procol Harum-Shine on Brightly (1968)
Yes-same (1969)
Jethro Tull-stand up (1969)
King Crimson-In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
Bonham'ssqueakypedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Not much on the Prog Rock am I.
Scotty Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Scotty Baboon View Post
Not much on the Prog Rock am I.

Well you can change that. It's up to you. Maybe you just never gave it a chance or don't know where to start or think it's only for geeks and nerds or something. Anyway, if you ever get tired of the same old same old prog will always be here.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Earth-bound Misfit

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Bonham'ssqueakypedal View Post
Did you know that Blackmore's Night(Richie Blackmore's medieval/renaissance inspired band)did a version of Greensleeves on one of their early discs?
Came across this on YouTube.

Blackmore's Night - Greensleeves

and this ...

Ritchie Blackmore - Greensleeves live 1976

Last edited by Jake T; 11-01-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Jake T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Few progressive rock bands i like

Yes
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Dream Theater
ELP
lighthorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #27 (permalink)

I want to say a few things about dream theater They are not many people who has listened to Dream theater but the fans know how great they are i mean their songs are the most catchiest metal songs iv ever heard they are great musicians listen to one of their songs like change of seasons to understand what i mean
Saman Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #28 (permalink)

For some reason the powers that be on here insist that this thread should be in the progressive rock forum. The whole reason for me starting it was to introduce the genre to those who might not otherwise be exposed to it. So in that sense it's pointless for it to be posted here. The whole point was for those who might be curious as to what prog is to be exposed to it.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
LG
Fade To Black

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Bonham'ssqueakypedal View Post
For some reason the powers that be on here insist that this thread should be in the progressive rock forum. The whole reason for me starting it was to introduce the genre to those who might not otherwise be exposed to it. So in that sense it's pointless for it to be posted here. The whole point was for those who might be curious as to what prog is to be exposed to it.
Let's see, your thread is a sticky in the Prog section so it doesn't get buried under the other threads and is easily accessible for anyone who wants to read it.

Being in the Prog section seems logical to me, if folks are curious they can open the section and see your dissertation at the top of the page.

If this thread was in the Lounge for example it would get buried in no time unless you were going to update it constantly which from the look of your infrequent visits I doubt would ever happen.

Other than that I have nothing to say about your complaint BSP.
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
Long Live Wock 'n' Woll

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
To me progressive rock is more 'adult type' music with strong classical influences as well as other genres. Experimental. In search of the lost chord. Many will definitely get it wrong, for example if someone will write a song in different time signatures it suddenly becomes a prog. Nope. Prog has themes, emotions and likes to show off sometimes.

To me the very first moment when I can say prog started was Procol Harum's Bach-fuelled single 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' released just two weeks before Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band. This really was a significant moment IMO.

Not forgetting to mention their next great works 'A Salty Dog' and 'In Held 'Twas In I'.