Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Talk, News & Reviews > Album Reviews

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Album Reviews You may post detailed album reviews here. Please do not copy and paste your reviews, that is considered plagiarism.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default In Search Of The Lost Chord

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
After a few years of delivering pleasantly persuasive American R&B influenced material,"The Magnificent Moodies" as they were heralded in the title of their first American LP embarked on a series of ethereal,mind expanding works commencing with "Days of Future Passed",the first album length marriage of rock and the the more colourful aspects of classical.Though this is their only true groundbreaking proposal,my personal favorite of their forays into the sophistications of cosmic yet earthly philosophy remains 1968's "In Search of the Lost Chord",a record that instead of the rigid classical tones of "Passed" employs an exotic structure I find far more accessible to its intended hippie audiences.As much as the MB's have been criticized for espousing rather puerile existential observations,I've always thought this to be part of their intent of purpose,to override man's struggle with the mundane activities of day to day living with the healing energies of music sympathetic towards such life conditionings.Side one of the vinyl standes testament to the glories of late 1960's psych-rock album construction,complete with dearth of space between tracks,a practice employed by the Beatles on "Sgt. Pepper",creating a tight knit programme of much worthwhile musical fare sure to entrance the listener with its other worldly aural evocations,including the gleefully meaning-of-life explorative hit 45 "Ride Me See Saw" and the Birmingham,England quintet's ode to LSD provocateur Tim Leary("Legend Of A Mind").The second half of "Chord" plays curiously involved with passive aggressively charminbg pastoral works("Voices in the Sky","Visions of Paradise","The Actor")the insightful powers of the human mind ("The Best Way to Travel")and an all-out album closing transcendental God prayer("Om")"Dr. Livingston,I Presume" may be throwaway,but even that one is still quite fun......................

Last edited by Hurdy Gurdy Man; 03-02-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Hurdy Gurdy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
A Seasoned Witch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

Nicely written review, HG!

This is also my favorite Moody Blues album.

"I want you as the dream, not the reality..." from "Never Be Mine" by Kate Bush

"In terms of emotional comfort, no amount of physical contact
can match the healing powers of a well-made cocktail."
Black Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bullet Proof Poet

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

HGM well written review on a classic album of the Moody Blues...

Musicians Whom Improve My Life Are:

Motorhead Sam Cooke Dinah Washington Slayer U2 Cream Led Zeppelin Beatles Stones Yes Sex Pistol NOFX Rancid Classical Composers Muddy Waters Leadbelly Gov`t Mule Black Crowes ABB Pink Floyd Genesis Iron Maiden N.W.O.B.H.M Doom POP. . .

Hittin` The Note. . . Because Music Matters
joker1961 is offline   Reply With Quote