Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Talk, News & Reviews > Album Reviews

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Album Reviews You may post detailed album reviews here. Please do not copy and paste your reviews, that is considered plagiarism.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Hall & Oates - Private Eyes (1981)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!

this is definitely my favorite H&O album yet, there are other greats like h20, voices, and big bang boom(yes, even big bang boom despite the over the top lush production), but this album has a delicate balance of soft rock, blue eyed soul, pop soul, pop rock, and small bits of powerpop and new wave thrown in. Also the last H&O album before they started to go full speed ahead in the new wave direction. what do you guys think, these are that tracks that i have from the album, and definitely the strongest from the album(seeing as they were all hits )

not to mention this album, along with h20 and big bang boom, etc...has their best line up, t-bone, charles dechant, mickey curry, and g.e. smith
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
✯ Blues Man ✯

Default Re: Private Eyes(1981)

Private Eyes has me thinking of .......

Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have a small soft spot fo H&O
Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bumble in the window

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

Private Eyes has me thinking of .......

I Love that album Garrett, almost spilled my coffee reading your post.

Back to Haulin' Oats...I never owned Private Eyes, I did have their first 3 albums at one time but now all I have is their Greatest hits CD and a copy of Abandoned Luncheonette.

When I bought Big Bang Boom...I think I played it three times then shelved it. But after reading your review maybe I'll get a copy of Private Eyes and give it a fair listen.
Lord Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Music Lover

Has anyone here heard Daryl Hall's work with Robert Fripp, Exposure and Sacred Songs? I wondered what they were like. Someone else was involved but I cannot remember who it was. It may have been Peter Gabriel.
Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Lord Grendel View Post

I Love that album Garrett, almost spilled my coffee reading your post.

Back to Haulin' Oats...I never owned Private Eyes, I did have their first 3 albums at one time but now all I have is their Greatest hits CD and a copy of Abandoned Luncheonette.

When I bought Big Bang Boom...I think I played it three times then shelved it. But after reading your review maybe I'll get a copy of Private Eyes and give it a fair listen.
thanks, definitely give it a go, its a great album, the energy of powerpop, the groovy-ness of new wave, and the soft touch effect for soft rock and soul.

big bang boom i thought was good, at least for possession obsession, method of modern love and my favorite H&O song of all time, out of touch
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
Has anyone here heard Daryl Hall's work with Robert Fripp, Exposure and Sacred Songs? I wondered what they were like. Someone else was involved but I cannot remember who it was. It may have been Peter Gabriel.
I usued to have Exposure and God Save the Queen as well as a few other Fripp solo works. I can't say I remember much more than them being highly experimental.

Nothing really grabbed me in any of the albums and quite a bit was nuagy or even ambient in nature. I was not aware the Daryl Hall was even involved.

Now which one is Hall?
Khor1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dust in the Wind

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default Re: Hall & Oates - Private Eyes (1981)

Hall & Oates was dance music back in the day.

I do have this album on Cassette and it does have the best band line up for H & O.

I would give this album a 4/5 !
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Re: Hall & Oates - Private Eyes (1981)

Originally Posted by Khor1255 View Post
I usued to have Exposure and God Save the Queen as well as a few other Fripp solo works. I can't say I remember much more than them being highly experimental.

Nothing really grabbed me in any of the albums and quite a bit was nuagy or even ambient in nature. I was not aware the Daryl Hall was even involved.

Now which one is Hall?
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Hall & Oates was dance music back in the day.

I do have this album on Cassette and it does have the best band line up for H & O.

I would give this album a 4/5 !
thats what id give it too, soon im going to review voices, h20, and big bang boom, and maybe even their intermediate stuff from rock n soul like adult education and say it isnt so., but im also going to do a bunch of other reviews

reviews soon to be done(spoiler alert!): brothers in arms(1985), synchronicity(1983), business as usual(1981), ghost in the machine(1981), duran duran(1981), rio(1982), seven and the ragged tiger(1983), songs from the big chair(1984)