Go Back   Classic Rock Forum > Classic Rock Forums > 2000's Music

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

2000's Music Discuss music from the 2000's.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default Paloma Faith (Official Thread)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!

* Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? (2009)
* Fall to Grace (2012)

Paloma Faith | Welcome
Paloma Faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paloma Faith is an English neo-soul singer who has won my heart over in recent months almost solely on the strength of her debut album, "Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?", which was has very successful in her native UK since it's release in 2009. It was a top ten hit, produced two top 20 singles, "Stone Cold Sober" and "New York", has gone both gold and platinum, and stay on the album charts for over 2 years.
She released her second album "Fall to Grace" earlier this year and it debut at #2 and spawned the highest charting single of her career, "Picking Up The Pieces", which peaked at #7. It more ambitious album musically and has a great deal more variance than her debut but I personally do no enjoy it as much.
Paloma's musical style is often describes as a less dirty, drugged up version of Amy Winehouse (ok, well maybe not in those exact words), which is a funny coincidence because she was actually offered a gig singing backup in Amy's band just before she started recording her own music. These comparison's sort of cease with her second album, which isn't quite as vintage and lush sounding on all of the songs as it's predecessor and focuses more on a slightly poppier direction on select tracks, mainly the singles.
On a side note I really love Paloma Faith's sense of style and her red hair. Also she has a really impressive set of teeth, which is a good thing because she is a very toothy singer.

Some of my favorites from her debut:

And her biggest single (I prefer the acoustic version):

(There are those impressive chompers)

She also joined Shane MacGowan in putting together a charity single cover of "I Put A Spell On You", where is second singer to sing, after Shane himself.

With all due respect to the original this is my favorite version of this song. It's dark and seedy and is a great collage of singers who's voices are full of character and that gives the song some real personality.

Hope you all enjoy what you hear.

Cosmic Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
punk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Re: Paloma Faith (Official Thread)

very nice songs, especially like "Broken Doll". Going to google her albums

Qué pasa, Gringo?
Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

"Broken Doll" was one that immediately stuck out to me too, Redneck. Lemme know what you think once you've heard more on your own.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Yeah, so I'm checking this out,and for sure!!!! Any Whinehouse more upbeat

Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
punk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I've listened to all her songs that could find on youtube and got my favorites:
Beuty of the end is perfect
- I like this version more than the acoustic one.

can't stop listening to her

Qué pasa, Gringo?

Last edited by Redneck; 09-04-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Music Lover

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

It irritates me that Paloma Faith gets a bad press. She seems a real character and is preferable to many other current British female singers I could mention. Her style strikes me as a bit nineteen-forties jazz, like Dutch singer Caro Emerald.

Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

You seem you enjoy the ballads a bit more, Redneck. Nothing wrong with that of course. I think she has more opportunity to show off her vocals in ballads.

I wasn't aware that Paloma got bad press, Big Ears. From what I've read she is very well received but then again on this side of the pond she people just go "Who?" so I can't say first hand.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Music Lover

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

She gets criticised by the British press. She is unlike Adele, Duffy, etc, was ubiquitous in films, TV & radio and has a sense of humour, so they take it upon themselves to try and knock her down. Another example is Rumer, who again bucks the trend, and is damned with faint praise. If I get started on our media, it will take a whole thread!
Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess Brits just don't care for neo-soul singers if they're not depressing. :P
Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bullet Proof Poet

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by Cosmic Harmony View Post

* Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? (2009)
* Fall to Grace (2012)

Paloma Faith | Welcome
Paloma Faith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paloma Faith is an English neo-soul singer who has won my heart over in recent months almost solely on the strength of her debut album, "Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?", which was has very successful in her native UK since it's release in 2009. It was a top ten hit, produced two top 20 singles, "Stone Cold Sober" and "New York", has gone both gold and platinum, and stay on the album charts for over 2 years.
She released her second album "Fall to Grace" earlier this year and it debut at #2 and spawned the highest charting single of her career, "Picking Up The Pieces", which peaked at #7. It more ambitious album musically and has a great deal more variance than her debut but I personally do no enjoy it as much.
Paloma's musical style is often describes as a less dirty, drugged up version of Amy Winehouse (ok, well maybe not in those exact words), which is a funny coincidence because she was actually offered a gig singing backup in Amy's band just before she started recording her own music. These comparison's sort of cease with her second album, which isn't quite as vintage and lush sounding on all of the songs as it's predecessor and focuses more on a slightly poppier direction on select tracks, mainly the singles.
On a side note I really love Paloma Faith's sense of style and her red hair. Also she has a really impressive set of teeth, which is a good thing because she is a very toothy singer.

Some of my favorites from her debut:

And her biggest single (I prefer the acoustic version):

(There are those impressive chompers)

She also joined Shane MacGowan in putting together a charity single cover of "I Put A Spell On You", where is second singer to sing, after Shane himself.

With all due respect to the original this is my favorite version of this song. It's dark and seedy and is a great collage of singers who's voices are full of character and that gives the song some real personality.

Hope you all enjoy what you hear.

wow wee never ever did I think I`d find Paloma Faith here...